What your friends and family think when you say “I’m writing a book”:
- I know, you’ve told me twenty times already.
- Same book you’ve been writing for seven years?
- When do you have time for that?
- That’s nice. Can you take out the garbage?
- Does it have vampires?
- Does it have zombies?
- Can I get a free copy?
- Cool. So who’s going to edit?
- Self-publishing or really publishing?
- So your main character’s name is the same as yours, and he looks a lot like you, eh?
- I asked you how you’re doing. I see my mistake now.
- Do I get a spot in your acknowledgements?
- You look tired.
- Cool. What color are your aliens?
- Any alien sex?
- Where do you get your ideas?
- So what causes the apocalypse in your book? Unchecked overdue books?
- You always had a lot to say.
- I like Twilight. Is it like Twilight?
- Do you need a hug?
- Who’s your inspiration?
- Cool. If I buy your book will you buy something from my Etsy store?
What they really say:
- That’s nice.